Tuesday, January 15, 2013

" If you get, give. If you learn, teach." - Maya Angelou

" If you get, give. If you learn, teach." - Maya Angelou

I had a very interesting experience happen to me yesterday that has been replaying over and over in my head. I've been having a rough week and Was really starting to get down about certain things. I wanted to take a mental health day from work , but for whatever reason ( I like to think of it as good karma) I decided to woman up and go in. I am an Instructional Aide at a school for kids with Autism, and within literally ten minutes of seeing the students my entire mood and mind set changed. There is no greater feeling than to have students come up to you and give you a hug, or say good morning, or even say your name.
I spent most of the morning interacting with the students, pulling them around on a cart, or playing catch with them in the gym. To see students come up to me to play, having fun, and laughing filled my heart with an unexplainable feeling. In these moments I realized that what these students teach me everyday about life is an amazing gift that I feel privileged to be able to receive each day.
Now a days, most people don't enjoy their jobs. Its an endless routine, a pay check, but for me, I wake up each day knowing that I am going to a job where the difference I make, is equivalent to the difference these students make in my life. It's really beautiful when you think about it :). It really blew my mind the way my entire frame of thinking shifted, and I wanted to keep up this amazing experience and feeling. So I sat down with some Apple Cinnamon Tea, and decided that each day I would reflect on ONE thing that I was grateful for, happy about, or inspired by and put them in a jar. I want to create a jar full of uplifting, beautiful memories that I could reflect on, whenever I needed too.
This brings me to the next portion of my entry....
WHAT AM I GRATEFUL FOR TODAY? (Day 1 )
I am grateful to have a house over my a head. A place where I can come home and unwind every night. It's hard to find a place where you can truly be yourself in this World, and I'm lucky to have a nook in the Universe where I can truly just be, my weird self. I spend most of my time listening to music, writing, and editing photos I take on my whereabouts through life. I like to be creative, and it's important to have a place where I am comfortable to do so.

What are you grateful for today?

Ps I will be writing about intro to crossfit tomorrow :)


xxx,
hippie_roots


No comments:

Post a Comment