Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Optimism



“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”   -Wintson Churchill


      I've had a lot of down time to think this week. I currently have to sit out of CrossFit due to an injury. I am not 100% sure the final verdict, but I DON'T think it is something that will keep me out for very long (even if I have to work from the bottom back up). I cried (a lot) in front of the entire 6:00PM class last Wednesday. The beautiful part is no one judged me because everyone there shares the same intensity. Everyone there knows what it's like to have your body tell you "it's time for a break". As Rick and I sat talking ( he more so painfully watched me sulk) I told him how it was funny that I was crying over missing ONE work out, meanwhile Annie Thorisdottior , the 2 time Crossfit Games Champion, is missing the GAMES this year due to a back injury (the same that I might have).
     Although we are on two totally different levels, two totally different athletes,... Annie is someone every Crossfit girl admires, and RESPECTS. I had just finished reading/watching her article on the CrossFit games website (http://games.crossfit.com/video/annie-thorisdottir-wont-compete-2013-games ) that Tuesday, and she offered such wonderful advice that would later change my whole thought process on what an injury is/isn't. 
                    
"There is this difference in competing hurt and competing injured. Sometimes you     
can push, but in this case, I can't really." -Iceland Annie 
                  
    Accepting an injury for what it is, that's the first part in the recovery process. Being injured is not an excuse to stop eating clean, stop being active, or even stop me from going to the box. And injury is a delay, it is not defeat, as long as I don't let it become that. I look at this as an opportunity to focus on where I can clean up my eating habits, work on things like endurance (running, biking, swimming), and allow me to get back to the basics in my lifting forms, so that when I do come back, I come back BETTER, stronger, more knowledgeable and efficient. There are only two ways to look at a situation, good or bad...life is A LOT better if you look at the good. Here's to wishing both Annie and myself a strong, speedy recovery!
     Today I am thankful for the support of my box, Marlboro Crossfit . I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by some truly awesome people. A lot of people reached out to me asking where I have been, or how my back was, it was nice to see how much of a family we are. Honestly we have one of the best boxes around, I am so grateful for you all!
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment