Sunday, June 30, 2013

Rx or Scaled?

Breathe. 



3..2..1..Go!


I get mad at the bar. I walk up to it and I go to " that place". 120# over -head squat. Coach Sal is behind me, " Envision yourself doing this! You got this!" I do just that. I take a deep breath,  and I'm off...chasing after the pain again. In my head I'm telling myself ..." Keep everything tight, pull apart the bar....Bounce out of it, back up! ...Push the knees out, ...further!"  I stand the weight up! 


Exhale.  I am free.




RX or Scaled?

         If you have been to a CrossFit box before you would notice that on the whiteboard, next to different athletes names is an RX. Two little letters that mean so much, to different people, for different reasons. Being able to put that RX next to your name after a work out is a BIG accomplishment, but it's not the only accomplishment that comes from working hard day in and day out doing CrossFit. Whether or not you RX or scale a workout, its important to be proud of your own efforts every single time you finish a WOD. 


   "Scaling means every WOD can be re designed to fit your needs as an athlete. That is what makes CrossFit so awesome for the masses when coached properly. Just communicate with your coach. Your attitude about the WOD can turn the butterflies into passion, enthusiasm and, my favorite word, tenacity. " - CrossFit Synergistics


      There are some workouts I earned an RX for, but they are few and far between, and I am okay with that. It reminds me that my journey is not over, in fact, there are so many things I need to work on that I'm excited. I want to earn those two letters at the end of my work out.  I don't want it handed to me, that's too easy!  
        One way that helps me to not get caught up in comparing myself to other athletes is to constantly remind myself of what my journey means to me. I leave reminders in my car, on my mirror, in my phone... anything it takes. Take time to
focus on what you want from your experience doing CrossFit. The more you focus on your journey, the more you will feel better about it, and start to appreciate the small steps you take everyday to reach that new PR, or to RX your first (and most certainly not your last) WOD. Everyone's journey is different, their stories, strengths, and weaknesses are not comparable to ours, so we all need to STOP comparing ourselves. I noticed break through moments when other people would lift more than me, and I noticed how easily I was able to control my ego about it. I went up to them, congratulated them, and realized that by them pushing harder, it made me push harder

      “Somewhere behind the athlete you’ve become and the hours of practice and the   coaches who have pushed you is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back… play for her.” - Mia Hamm
       When I signed up for the On-Ramp class it was because CrossFit had brought out something in me that I had been trying to find for years! I missed competing against myself, the day in and day our grind, the fear! I fell in love with CrossFit instantly, not because of PRing my back squat, or RXing a WOD. I fell in love because CrossFit reveled my weaknesses and strengths to myself. When you feel like you are getting too caught up in your head, comparing yourself to someone else, or worrying that you didn't RX the WOD, remind yourself of why you fell in love with CrossFit to begin with, and why you show up every single day! 
      The other night after one of our WODs, Coach Sal brought the class together to talk about what CrossFit really is, at the grit of it. One of the athletes at our box completed the work out doing one legged box jumps, and it was moving to see! Sal was right, at the end of the day, majority of the people who participate in CrossFit will never be an Elite Athlete, ever go to Regionals, or The Games. At the end of the day, it's that day in, day out grind that makes CrossFit what it is. Whether you are RXing, or scaling the workout always remember to PUSH yourself to the absolute best you can do, know that this is challenging for your body, and be proud of the results. Most athletes start off scaling a lot of, if not all the movements in CrossFit, which helps build up proper form, and strength! Allow your body to progress at it's own rate, and you will reap the benefits. Focusing to much on someone else's goals and achievements will never get you to reach your goals. Instead, let it make you work harder!
Today I am grateful that the school year is officially over! Although I still have roughly 6 weeks of the summer program until I get a break, I know it will go very quick! I can't believe I've been at my job for an entire year now, time flies!
What are you grateful for today?
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment